1. Locate and label the stop-valve on the incoming water mains supply main.
2. Locate and label all stop-valves and check them periodically.
3. Know the location of drain off valves to empty water and central heating systems once the source of heat has been turned off.
4. See that all exposed pipes and storage systems are properly insulated.
5. In very cold weather take care to prevent water pipes from becoming frozen. E.g., if the storage cistern is located in a roof space, opening the hatch allows heat from the house to keep the cistern from freezing. This may proof useful if you are going on holiday.
6. Inspect your water tank regularly to make sure it is in sound condition. Call us at the first sign of any problems.
7. Also check the state of flexible hose pipes to plumbed-in domestic appliances at regular intervals.
8. Dripping taps and leaking ball valves indicate your plumbing system requires maintenance. Please call us before they become major problems.
9. Have boilers and other heating appliances serviced regularly. See our maintenance schedule for Landlord safety Certification and Boiler Service Options.
10. Keep our address and telephone number handy. We are always only a phone call away – 24/7
11. Ensure all hot water and heating is on timed to cut down on running costs.
12. Bleeding radiators of air will increase efficiency and prolong a systems lifespan
13. Flush out heating systems at a minimum interval of once every 3 years as per boiler manufacturers recommendations.
14. Never have tiling work carried out by handymen – this is a total false economy. Ask for guarantees.
15. Always use Gas Safe engineers on gas work – Never attempt to work on gas appliances yourself. It won’t save you money and it could cost you your life.
16. Don’t put baby wipes down drains
17. If you have a very old plumbing and heating system, and when going away on holidays, always have somebody check you home periodically – or alternatively switch off all stopcocks and drain down storage tanks.
18. Make sure you stay Gas Safe when you are on holiday
19. Lastly, call Atlantic if you need help, it’s as simple as that!