Boiler Scrappage Scheme
What’s it all About?
The Government Boiler Scrappage Scheme was finally launched on 5th January 2010, enabling homeowners in England to receive a £400 discount towards the supply-and-fit of new A-rated boiler (or similar) when scrapping their old boiler unit. This is subject to the homeowner’s existing boiler meeting the criteria set out in the scheme.
The Boiler Scrappage Scheme is designed to encourage homeowners to upgrade the energy performance of their heating and hot water systems.
- Homeowners living in an owned or privately rented home (i.e. tenants) in England.*
- Have a working G-rated boiler, which is the main boiler used to heat the home. The exception is for homeowners (including tenants) over 60, where the boiler does not need to be in working order.
- ONLY homeowners and landlords who privately own and rent residential properties (i.e. dwellings) are eligible to apply for 1 no. boiler scrappage voucher^.
The Stuff You Need To Apply For A Boiler Scrappage Voucher
- Your full name.
- The address of the property you are claiming the 1 no. voucher for.
- The make and model of the existing boiler which is to be replaced and scrapped**.
- The company or trading name, address and contact details of the approved boiler installer who is to be instructed to carry out the agreed installation work.
- The make and model of the proposed replacement boiler which is to be installed i.e. gas, biomass or similarily approved.
- A written quotation from the approved boiler installer who will be instructed to carry out the agreed work.
** If you are having difficulty establishing the make or model or your existing boiler in order to determine whether it qualifies through the Government scheme, then it may be easier to convey all known details to an approved gas installer for their assessment.
A Word About G-rated Boilers
If your existing gas boiler has a pilot light permanently on, then there’s a good chance it is a G-rated boiler and therefore eligible for the 1 no. boiler scrappage voucher^.
When Is My Boiler Scrappage Voucher Issued?
The £400 Government boiler scrappage vouchers are to be issued from 18 January 2010.
Subject to your application being approved, 1 no. voucher will be issued to you around 10 days after your application has been received. However, we would advise that due to the possible high level boiler scrappage applications in the first few months, this period may be longer than 10 days.
The Boiler scrappage voucher is valid for up to 12 weeks from the date of issue. If the voucher is not used within this period, then it will be cancelled and reallocated to a new applicant.
^Please note; There will only be ONE voucher per homeowner or property. However, if the voucher is allowed to expire, then it may be possible to apply for another subject funds being available.
When Do I Recieve My £400 Discount?
You will be able to commence with your new boiler installation once you’ve received your Boiler Scrappage Voucher. You will need to pay for your new boiler and associated installation work before claiming back the £400 discount by sending the voucher and associated invoice to the Energy Saving Trust (EST). Your £400 discount payment should be issued within 25 working days of receipt of said voucher and associated invoice.
Any new boiler installation carried out before receipt of your applied for boiler scrappage voucher will invalidate your application and you will therefore no longer be eligible to receive the £400 discount voucher.
Which Installers Qualify?
The installation of your new gas or oil boiler MUST be carried out by a registered installer ( Atlantic Plumbing & Heating ), with a competent person’s scheme (i.e. GasSafe or OFTEC). The installation of any microgeneration technology MUST be carried out by an installer qualified through the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.